[Gllug] aptitude and source packages

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 17:02:44 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Martin A. Brooks
<martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:

> What makes you describe the use of aptitude as idiotic?
>
> (I'm not attempting to start a flamewar here, I'm genuinely curious).

I'm also curious, because I find exactly the opposite. My biggest
gripe with apt is the interface. With yum, the command I need to use
is called "yum", regardless of whether I'm installing a package,
searching for something or querying the database. I've lost count of
the number of times I've typed "apt-get search foo". I shouldn't need
to think about whether I need to be using apt-get, apt-cache or
apt-file. In git terms, it should be plumbing, hidden behind some
porcelain. With aptitude, that seemed to have been fixed, and it came
with better dependency handling to boot.

So what is it about apt-{get,cache,file} that you like so much, and
what does aptitude not do for you?

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk