[Gllug] Samba & MS Windows 7

Christopher Currie ccurrie at usa.net
Sun Apr 11 21:26:55 UTC 2010

On Sunday 11 April 2010 13:30:45 +0100 Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk>
wrote:

> Yes: I can't really see how virtualisation would help, I can just see
>  myself buying problems when they try something like plugging a USB device
>  in ... straight MS Windows is going to be simpler - & when there are
>  problems Linux won't be blamed. There are 8 desktops, most are old MS XP
>  machines, one MS Vista (home :-( ) laptop & 2 Linux (1 CentOS, 1 Debian).
>
> I just want to know if people have any experience of MS Version 7 & them
> authentiating off Samba.

Couldn't virtualisation help in testing likely problems before using a set of
real machines?

 Run (one or more) windows 7 VMs on a box running a Samba server and check
access between the VM  the Linux host and vice versa.

It works on mine (using the Windows 7 ultimate rc from bagside.com), accessing
shared directories, although on a tiny home network I haven't experimented
with proper Samba authentication or serious configuration. I assume VirtualBox
can give the real and virtual machines separate IP addresses on the local
network, as VmWare Player does.

Christopher Currie

--
It's not 'like' we own slaves, so let's talk as if we don't.
Say No to old slaveholders' dialect - 'like' is not a conjunction.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk