[Gllug] Hardware fault

Neil Tancock neil at safeharbourit.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 07:33:51 UTC 2010

Hi Dylan,

If you're getting no response other than the fans starting it does look serious.

- Plug the power supply into another machine that is known to be working to eliminate the power supply.   Power supplies have a 12v 'circuit' and a 5v 'circuit' and if one is prevented from working it can have some odd results like the fans starting but the CPU not.  If the other machine does the same thing, then you have a power supply problem.  Replace the power supply.

- If it doesn't then your power supply is fine and things just got a bit more involved.  You've already taken out all the components likely to prevent a machine from doing its initial startup (Memory, drives, etc)  Have you any PCI cards to remove?  If not, then David is right - your motherboard or CPU is gone.  If that's the case, try to get a motherboard that will take the same CPU as one you have - that will save some money.  However, you may have to reinstall your OS because of the new motherboard.  If you have any data on the drive, you should be able to back it up somewhere before doing the install.

Many thanks,

-Neil
The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients, any opinions or advice contained in this e-mail are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable governing terms of business