[Gllug] Cloning only one of two partitions & how necessary is swapspace...

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sun Apr 11 14:53:22 UTC 2010

John Edwards wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:13:28AM +0100, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Thanks Chris (& John).
>>
>> Yeah I'm not sure mine will take much more RAM so I think I'll either
>> leave the swap on the SSD or dedicate a crappy old drive to it as you
>> suggest. Any idea how I might go about logging the number of IOs and how
>> much traffic there is to and from my swap partition for 24 hrs so I can
>> gauge how hard it would work its successor?
>>

> Munin is a general performance monitor system that produces web
> pages and graphs, and includes both swap usage and I/O. It's very
> simple to setup.

Thanks John,

I was heartened to see this app is included in the Ubuntu repos and
started setting it up but, although I'm sure you are correct that it is
very simple for what it is, I balked when I came across the 18 page how
to. I think this may be overkill for what I want, namely a simple count
of how many blocks are written to the swapfile over 24 hours.

I'm sure something like systemtap or dtrace could tell me this but they
look pretty involved too. Is there nothing simpler that can monitor swap io?

I was hoping there would be a bash one liner or some combination of
switches for iotop that would give me this info, or at least create a
log that I could extract it from with a little scripting (in a language
I know).

Thanks,

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk