[Gllug] A little OT: On the limits of VLANs

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 15:37:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Iain M Conochie <iain at shihad.org> wrote:

>> A gnome desktop *is* cruft. You don't really want a desktop at all
>> on your server. If X is installed, I see that as a bug. Sadly, I
>> seem to be in a minority there.
>
> Especially when you talk to Oracle DBA's as this software needs some
> form of X running to install :(

Yes. The last time I was at an Oracle shop, I tried to get our DBAs
to report the requirement to have X installed as a bug, but they
couldn't see the problem, and wouldn't do so (technically, you can
do it without X using a response file, but that's not exactly a
user-friendly experience).

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk