[Gllug] Reliable Remote installing to a desktop.

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Aug 23 16:35:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 04:47:46PM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been given the task to upgrading a remote desktop from gentoo to ubuntu.
> What options are available to do this?
> 1) It is a desktop and not a server, so no DRAC or iLO features.
> 2) There are two Linux machines on the LAN.
> 3) No serial port access.
> 4) I prefer not to visit site.
>
> My ideas so far:
> 1) Create a spare partition.
> 2) Install a minimal Linux OS onto the spare partition using
> debootstrap, add sshd and then boot to that and login via ssh
> 3) Use that minimal Linux OS to remove the gentoo install and
> debootstrap ubuntu over the top of it, add sshd then boot to that and
> login via ssh
> 4) complete the ubuntu install from the command line.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> James

I've not had to do this, but here are a few ideas.

If you have a sensible helper at the other end you could try
booting off CD, get the IP address, login via SSH:
	https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/NetworkConsole

If the machines can network boot using PXE then it maybe worth
spending a bit of time setting up a PXE boot enviroment with the
Ubuntu network install and then add an SSH server to it:
	https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PXEInstallMultiDistro
	(plus the netboot section of the first URL)

Lastly here is something similar to your boot strapping idea:
	http://www.underhanded.org/papers/debian-conversion/remotedeb.html

I think the first is the easiest and most likely to succeed without
problems.