[Gllug] New PC/laptop without Windows preinstalled

Sanatan Rai sanatan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 13:32:43 UTC 2010

> Why do you need specifically a brand name PC?

  I don't at all. I currently use an Advent PC as my main system,
and am more than happy to go with a good `local' manufacturer.

> I would recommend www.armari.co.uk for a custom build,
> and dnuk.co.uk are well thought of on this list.

Both DNUK and NovaTech look pretty good to me, and ARmari
seems to be in the same league.

Price and spec wise I find these offering to be superioir to
the major brands. It was just that I didn't know about any
other than Advent and they seem to insist that one buy
their through Currys/PCWorld, where there seems to
be no chance of getting a clean PC.

> For brand name, I have had Dell delivered with Redhat,
> and Lenovo with a 'DOS Only' build - which effectively means no OS.

That's interesting. I rang them up and `DOS Only' was not offerred.

Not that I am going to go with Dell after the choices above...

Thanks much for another good suggestion.

--Sanatan
--
Sanatan Rai
3, Admirals Court,