[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 17:35:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:11:32 +0100 John Edwards
<john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 05:56:08PM +0100, John G Walker wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:47:01 +0100 John Edwards
> > <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> That sounds like your filesystem is full or corrupt. Running 'df
> >> -h' and 'df -i' will tell you the space and inodes available.
> >
> > df -h rtells me that /dev/sda2 is 100% used.
> > df -i tells me the inodes for that partition are only 15% full.
> >
> > I've forgotten what I've got in /dev/sda2, but how do I find that
> > out?
>
> Does 'df -h' not tell you that in the last column?
>
> Below /dev/md1 is the root filesytem as the "Mounted on" column is /
> --------
> $ df -h
> /dev/md1               25G  9.8G   14G  43% /
> --------
>
> If 'df' it doesn't then the 'mount' command should.

Sorry, I wasn't reading the response properly. /dev/sda2 contains the
root file system, so no wonder I have problems.

> > I think it may be a corrupt file system, since I attempted the
> > suggestion of creating a new user and logging on. It refused to do
> > this, telling me that /tmp was full. This is highly unlikely,
> > since /tmp is assigned to a temporary file system.
>
> Run 'mount' to be sure because it also tells you the type of
> filesystem. If it tmpfs then run 'free -t' to check how much
> memory (and swap) you have free.

/tmp is 1% full, which is what I'd expect.

> > I have the installation disk for this OS, which I hope will let me
> > do a fsck. Could you walk me through what I should do?
>
> No, I don't know SuSE well enough.

Thanks for your sterling efforts so far. It's well appreciated. And
now I need someone who'll tell me how to fix the root filesystem.
I'll ask on other places as well.

Any volunteers?

--
 All the best,