[Gllug] Netbook recommendations

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Tue Aug 17 12:31:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 3:32 AM, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 08:24:25PM +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 14:49 +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> > > Anyone care to recommend some Linux netbooks? Thinking of buying some
> > > allow some sofa surfing ... my kids have a better PC than mine but
> there's
> > > isn't near the TV...
> >
> > I use an Acer Aspire One - in fact I have two of them (a 9" and an 11"),
> > and both run the netbook respin of Ubuntu flawlessly.  They came with
> > their own flavour of Xandros Linux on them, but that was quickly
> > replaced with something that I liked.
>
> I had a play with one of these in a shop in the US last week.  However
> it came with Windows "Starter" Edition -- ie. not only am I paying for
> Windows, but I'm even paying for a _crippled_ non-useful version of
> Windows.
>
> Anyway, nice hardware.  Where can I get this without Windows / with
> Linux?

Rich,
  Sadly, the Linux version isn't significantly less expensive than the
Windows version so if you use Windows anywhere (even a relative) it might be
worth it to buy the windows version and repurpose the license to another
machine.  Or you could attempt to get the Windows rebate thing to work.

Andy