[Gllug] Perl ack search not as expected

gvim gvimrc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 17:28:56 UTC 2010

Please view this message with UTF-8 encoding.

I'm searching a folder on a CentOS Linux share which contains a lot of files which have somehow accumulated utf-8 characters in their filenames largely due, I suspect, to differences between Linux and Snow Leopard SMB/CIFS implementations as the connecting machines are all iMacs. I used a Perl 'ack' search along these lines:

ack -a -g '[^[:punct:]\w\s£Ç¿∩ó┬░Γª»⌐¥ºá├ûñä]'  ~user/projects

... which seemed to bag all the miscreants about a month ago but now there are new characters slipping through the net, eg.

Appointment/appointment ...

... which doesn't show up in the terminal but does if I copy and paste the filename. How can I add this character to my search string? I tried cutting and pasting into Vim but it doesn't appear.

gvim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk