[Gllug] Questions arising from the random discussions...

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Tue Aug 3 15:04:52 UTC 2010

On 2010-08-03 08:25, Nix wrote:
> On 3 Aug 2010, Walter Stanish verbalised:

>>> No they aren't. Some VIAs have them. Intel put them in some machines
>>> briefly and then stopped. I think that's it.
>>
>> Ahh, my bad.  I guess I just assumed that, after seeing them pop up some
>> years ago that PRNGs were - as per most hardware - to be accrued as
>> mainstream and thus become rolled in to the motherboards or CPUs and
>> never go away...
>>
>> Makes you wonder why they weren't?
>
> Because most people have the same reaction as Jose Luis Martinez
> earlier, that this is ultra niche, even though it isn't, so it was
> dropped as a waste of silicon. (It's also really hard to keep random
> noise sources on the CPU die good-quality: there's just too much regular
> electrical noise around.)

AMD768 hwrng, rnd-tools installed (not installed by default in Debian -
weird) - still I can get "cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail"
from >2000 to <200 after 15 steps.

Hmm.

*goes to order*

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadowrobot.com
managing director      251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/              @shadowrobot
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk