[Gllug] hello

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Wed Aug 11 11:59:21 UTC 2010

On 11/08/2010 12:33, John G Walker wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:02:37 +0100 Simon Wilcox<essuu at ourshack.com>
> wrote:
>
>> there are
>> sufficiently few of us that it's not worth the virus writers' efforts
>> to write such a programme but Linux is just as vulnerable to social
>> engineering type attacks as any other system, including Windows and
>> Mac OS X.
>

> Surely the majority of servers as Linux ones, not Windows. If writing
> viruses was a numbers game then we should see more Linux server viruses
> than Windows ones.
>
> A better explanation is that Linux, like Unix before it, was designed
> as a multi-user networked OS. Windows, on the other hand, was designed
> as a straightforward, standalone, single-user OS (something that I
> think it does quite well). The difference, then, is that security is
> built into the basics of Linux, whereas it's had to be bolted onto
> Windows,

I agree with you but that wasn't the class of threat I was talking about.

I'm talking about a trojan that tricks someone into clicking it. That's
just as easy to do on a Linux desktop as it is a Mac or Windows desktop.

Admittedly it is harder to make it stick around on Linux so that it runs
on start up but easy enough to make it run each time the victim user
logs in. On a standard desktop or laptop that's going to be regular
enough that it won't make that much difference.

And note that I'm talking about regular desktop users, not knowledgeable
computer users. Most people on this list obviously fall into the latter
category and we often forget that People Are Dumb[tm].

It is a fallacy to think that Linux is any more safe from stupid users
than Windows or Mac. It's just that we currently have fewer of them :-)

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk