[Gllug] entropykey: why did nobody ever mention this thing before?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Aug 3 21:54:47 UTC 2010

On 3 Aug 2010, Karanbir Singh outgrape:
> What sort of sustained rates do these keys get upto ?

About 4KiB/s (my earlier statement about 16Kb/s was caused by
multiplying where I should have divided and not having enough
caffeine). Currently my key says

EntropyRate=32397

(that's from 2x16Kbits/s generators, so the absolute max you can get is
32767).

I've seen it as low as 30690 bits/sec, but no lower.

Normally the ekeyd will consider seven out of each eight bits of the
entropy provided by the key to be entropic: surely an underestimate, but
better that than overestimating.

So it's not a high-rate source, but those cost a *lot* more. It's high
enough to keep several machines supplied with entropy.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk