[Gllug] Do many people use their own local repos/mirrors

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 10:04:30 UTC 2010

On 30 August 2010 10:35, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
> I used to mirror Fedora repos and other things nightly.  Nowadays I
> use a very large, aggressive cache (using a highly tuned squid config)
> to achieve the same effect but 'on demand'.
>
> I'm not quite how a commercial offering would work, unless it was
> physically located in my house, since the aim of the above is to avoid
> the overhead of pulling stuff down over 2 Mbps ADSL.  Maybe I'm not
> your target market :-(

I was looking more at the "devops" side of things - managing what
packages are available, deployment, tracking and keeping up to date
rather than just having faster/cheaper access to local copies of
whatever is already available.

Essentially, it would provide "virtual" repos organised by category
that combine a variety of upstream repos accross packaging
systems/languages and automatically converting accross systems, i.e.
allow you to pull from pear through your local yum, etc

A.

--
Aaron J Trevena, BSc Hons
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk