[Gllug] hello

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 12:39:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at workshy.org> wrote:

> That's not entirely accurate.  Modern Windows OSen derive from Windows
> NT, not 9x; NT was designed from the start to be a multiuser OS

That's not entirely accurate either. Yes, it was designed to support
multiple users, and to have security to prevent users from seeing files
owned by others. But it was never designed to have multiple concurrent
users, in the same way that Unix was. The assumption was that a computer
was a single user device. Witness the existence of HKEY_CURRENT_USER,
for example.

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk