[Gllug] Can't delete files from Time Capsule mounted on Centos5

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 15:21:55 UTC 2010

On 13 August 2010 01:20, gvim <gvimrc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in charge of a small office server running Centos5.5 providing mail and Samba workgroup file shares. The server is backed up to a (Apple) Time Capsule which I configured a while ago to run as a bog standard Samba share mounted under /mnt. I recently tried deleting a 160GB folder on the share and managed to get it down to the last 2.5GB before it refused to delete any more files. Now it seems to be full of files which just can't be deleted. I run rm -f on them individually to see what's going on and it pretends they're not there even there though listed via ls -l. I suspect this is some weird OS X vs Linux implementation of extended attributes or SAMBA permissions but I don't know where to start.
>
> Anyone had problems with Mac files sitting on Linux shares and/or using these "Time Capsules"? Grr!

The "Time Capsule" feature has a buffer.
The buffer does not store an entire snapshot of the share. The buffer
stores the difference between the current share and what the share was
at some point in time in the past. As time goes by, the buffer gets
larger as there are more and more differences between the old version
and the current version.
By deleting 160GB, you have probably now caused the difference between
the old and the current version of be so large that it cannot fit in
the buffer.
If you delete the old snapshot, thus freeing up some buffer space, you
should then be able to delete the rest of the files.

Kind Regards

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk