[Gllug] Cheap rackmount servers

Andy Millar andy at andymillar.co.uk
Mon Aug 23 06:22:48 UTC 2010

<snip>
Yeah, I like the r210s. Nice and compact thingies.
Andy, care to elaborate on the "colo bill"? (I can colo for free, but
just for the sake of it).
Afaik power management is quite decent in linux 2.6 for most hardware,
it doesn't have to have Dell or HP written on it to work.
</snip>

To put things in perspective, I make a "profit" within 12 months by changing from a HP DL140 G3 to a Dell R210.

I suspect most of the power savings are from moving to the nehalem cpus and associated architecture, which seem to have much improved power management.

My R210 idles at around 35w (41 VA?) which is insanely low. You might want to add another few W to that if you add conventional disks.

Andy