[Gllug] hello

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 11 11:33:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:02:37 +0100 Simon Wilcox <essuu at ourshack.com>
wrote:

> there are
> sufficiently few of us that it's not worth the virus writers' efforts
> to write such a programme but Linux is just as vulnerable to social
> engineering type attacks as any other system, including Windows and
> Mac OS X.

Surely the majority of servers as Linux ones, not Windows. If writing
viruses was a numbers game then we should see more Linux server viruses
than Windows ones.

A better explanation is that Linux, like Unix before it, was designed
as a multi-user networked OS. Windows, on the other hand, was designed
as a straightforward, standalone, single-user OS (something that I
think it does quite well). The difference, then, is that security is
built into the basics of Linux, whereas it's had to be bolted onto
Windows,

--
 All the best,
 John