[Gllug] Instructional AV player

DL Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Sat Aug 14 08:31:35 UTC 2010

John Hearns wrote:
> I was looking for references to Istanbul for screen capture:
...> and saw a reference on that page to Wink:

Thank you, and now that I've got the bit very firmly between my teeth, I
must admit these intrigue me - and I'm going to have a play...

I couldn't see how the playback is halted after each step though; nor
indeed despite liking the idea of using transparent 'next' buttons to
have a user click on the correct part of a screen display* how/if they
enable 'next' by keyboard. Neither seems to have hands-free/voice control.

I fear that in attempting to provide a culturally-appropriate example, I
may have mislead you slightly: I used the File | SaveAs | etc, merely to
illustrate the various steps familiar to all of us who are phoned by a
friend-in-need for "just a little help". This application is NOT limited
to computer screens/interaction, but (at this first attempt) is more
likely to use .png or .jpg illustrations.

Also whereas the video/stills would make it more engaging, conservatism
suggests starting off with audio-only (which also involves much
cheaper/shorter production costs and thus greater possibility of
'success' in the eyes of those to be impressed!)

Thus far, this simple boy has drafted an even more simple BASH script to
play each audio file in a sub-directory 'container' in turn, with a
pause-for-Enter-key between. It works, but it's more than a bit ratty
around the edges, and the production process a bit more stop-go than one
might hope...

Regards,
=dn

* do I recall that one of the ISPs uses this technique in their 'how to
configure xyz-application' FAQs. Maybe Zen Internet? (something I have
used to good effect when more than one of those pests, um,
friends-in-need, has called...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk