[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 16:47:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 05:06:09PM +0100, John G Walker wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:41:05 +0100 John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> zypper install gnome-desktop
>> should pull in the gnome packages needed for a typical desktop
>> (caveat - I'm not sure exactly which gnome package you need to pull in
>> using zypper.
>> Desktop sounds about right).
>
> It tried to do something, but failed because it said it needed 1000kB.
> I'm sure I have that, but zypper thinks not,

So applications can not write to the disk?
That will cause a lot of problems with KDE and Gnome.

That sounds like your filesystem is full or corrupt. Running 'df -h'
and 'df -i' will tell you the space and inodes available.

It might also be a good idea to boot from a live CD with similar
kernel and package versions, and run fsck on all filesystems.