[Gllug] Do many people use their own local repos/mirrors

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 08:15:15 UTC 2010

On 30 August 2010 06:55, DL Neil <GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm working on a "smart mirror" catalyst web application and was
>> wondering how many people use their own repos, mirrors and mini-cpans
>> to get an idea of usage etc and if people would pay for somebody else
>> to provide something like that for them, yes it'll be all or mostly
>> open sourced, if it's successful I'd like to be able to provide some
>> commercial services to cover the project development costs and/or
>> subsidise my other open source coding.
>
> I suspect I'm not smart enough to understand what you mean by
> "catalyst", or for that matter "smart".

Catalyst would be http://www.catalystframework.org/ a perl "MVC" framework.

"Smart" would be a nice web interface making it easy to categorise
packages into virtual repos for dev, staging, test, live, etc and pull
from multiple upstream repos, with the aim of providing a nice
dashboard showing which upstream packages are available, upstream
security fixes, and a nice audit trail.

> I maintain in-house repositories for CentOS rpms, just as others do for
> Debian et-al's apt (etc); with the idea that the WAN download happens
> once, but LAN distributions can initiate as many times as necessary (and
> in whatever form is appropriate) without bandwidth charge.

That seems pretty common. I thought the management of which packages
would be the main reason for people do it, but most responses have
been about mirroring for faster/cheaper download.

I'm not sure how much it would be possible to integrate into upstream
bug tracking, version control and puppet, etc

A.

--
Aaron J Trevena, BSc Hons
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk