[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 13:00:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 01:26:45PM +0100, John G Walker wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:24:17 +0100 John Edwards
> <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:
>> Once logged in try running 'kwin' from a terminal and check the output
>> for errors.
>>
>> Also try running 'startkde' which will go through the whole KDE
>> initialisation again.
>
> Thanks for this suggestion. They tell me they can't connect to the X
> server, so presumably this is where the problem lies.
>
> How do I restart the X server from the command line?

Assuming you are using the KDE login screen (kdm) then:
	sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart

This may not kill your current X session.

Control-Alt-Backspace in an X session will also force it to be
killed and then usually restarted by kdm (or similar). But it
usually disabled in "user-friendly" distributions like Ubuntu
because it is rather dangerous and some people hit it accidentally
(lord only know how).

In a console 'sudo kill /usr/bin/X' and 'sudo kill -9 /usr/bin/X'
will do the same.

But you said that had done a reboot, which will have done a restart
of X along with everything else.

It is possible that the communication between your X server and the
X clients (the programs) is broken somehow. Things to check are your
home directory, ~/.Xauthority (the X magic cookies file), and the
X socket files in /tmp/.X11-unix/.

The contents of /var/log/Xorg*log may also be useful.