[Gllug] Netbook recommendations

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Aug 18 09:53:53 UTC 2010

On 17/08/10 18:17, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 08:31 -0400, Andrew Farnsworth wrote:
>

>> Rich,
>>    Sadly, the Linux version isn't significantly less expensive than the
>> Windows version so if you use Windows anywhere (even a relative) it
>> might be worth it to buy the windows version and repurpose the license
>> to another machine.  Or you could attempt to get the Windows rebate
>> thing to work.
>>
>> Andy
>>
> I bought mine last year, but a quick Google reveals that they are still
> available from a number of dealers, and the prices are frequently MUCH
> cheaper than the Windows versions!
>
> C.

Andrew, you can't move OEM copies of windows onto different machines,
legally at least. Practically you *may* get away with it but the move
will trigger re-activation so you will need to speak to MS on the phone
and sweet talk them: the only excuse they ever accept for this is that
you had a failed motherboard which you had to replace.

Rich, I don't know about new but certainly on ebay the cheapest netbooks
are the linux ones however, they also tend to be the ones with the tiny
slow SSDs and half the RAM of their windows counterparts so it pays to
look closely before buying.

I use an aspire one quite happily with the full desktop version of
Ubuntu and have also had good results with the new Mint. The Samsungs
have better keyboards but I'm of the opinion that if you're going to be
doing much typing you'd be better of with something fractionally bigger
i.e. what they used to call sub-notebooks e.g IBM X32 / X60.

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk