[Gllug] Cheap rackmount servers

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sun Aug 22 13:30:17 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 02:12:54PM +0100, Lucian wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Do you happen to know some providers of cheap rackmount servers? Dell
> etc are a bit too much for my budget.
> Also I'd be curious if someone managed to fit some comodity hardware
> inside a rackmount case.

Acme Technology sell rack mount cases, though I have not bought
one for 5 years. Prices then started at just over 100 (ex VAT)
for a basic 1U server case:
	http://www.acme-technology.co.uk/rack_mount.htm

It used to be worth building your own rack mount server 10 years
ago, but probably not today unless you have very custom needs.

HP sell 1U servers from below 500 (ex VAT):
	http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF25a/15351-15351-3328412-3328421-3328421-3984621.html

Dell have a 1U servers at a discount price of 300 (ex VAT):
	http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/business/Servers/rack_optimized/ct.aspx?refid=rack_optimized&s=bsd&cs=ukbsdt1&~tab=2
	http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/RBIredirect.aspx?rbi=EESJuqJJunKzV5pVrEFOw2upQvugCd7i2UzDzKZNEmt3lQ/Acmol/y9lq/6A4gXvwrRTPDkofY9Re/bkV7gfr8uBqdFttVGmOlNzsHsbkuyWrP/laOKMYQvG6utK1gQR6lpBxslZk1DZ/ee75LSzdbZVBZkDZtHSg6YkaFWEr3Agt8HF2LI9CzcxHgQoQtE7
	(beware really long URLs, and Dell often change them)

I'm not suggesting that those cheap 1U servers are any good, and
they will probably be missing a lot of things that are important
on a server such as ECC RAM, remote management and redundant PSU.

But I think the only way you are going to beat those prices is if
you re-use parts from another spare machine you own. And they will
probably not fit in a 1U server case (the RAM often too tall) so
you will need a more expensive 2U case.