[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 08:22:28 UTC 2010

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:32:37 +0100 John Edwards
<john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:

> Or try to force SuSE to switch from the closed source Nvidia
> drive to the open source one, or use the VGA compatible driver.
> I've not used SuSE for about 8 years and so don't know where
> it keeps it's xorg.conf file.

It seems that nvidia no longer support the open-source driver. In any
case, I'm getting perfectly good graphics.I'm being shown the logon
screen for my sessions and all the graphics inside the program windows.
What I'm not being shown is anything behind the screens. No theme, no
panel, no ability to load any program I can't get at from my email
client.

The only reason I can access my email is that it automatically starts
when I start a session.

It's a system-wide problem, in that the same thing happens whichever
user I log on as,

--
 All the best,
 John