[Gllug] Backup drive for CentOS 5 remote setup

gvim gvimrc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 12:26:23 UTC 2010

On 19/08/2010 13:00, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:

> Not if you're willing to try a kludge ;)
>
> Why not setup a little cron job to read/write a file once a minute
> thereby preventing it from idling?
>
> Roger.

I managed to get the correct sdparm info and can now turn STANDBY
on or off as required. Turning it off completely is not a great idea as
it's designed to keep power usage and overheating to a minimum so
I'm now looking at ways of prompting it back into action prior to a
scripted backup. So far all I've found that works is remounting the
mount point. All sdparm commands relating to powering up from idle
don't seem to reactivate the mount. It just complains: "Read-only
file system".

gvim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk