[Gllug] Linux in education

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue Aug 24 09:00:25 UTC 2010

Hello,
   I have visited the BETT education show almost every year, first at the
Barbican and then Olympia. One of my colleagues at the BBC, Jim Daniels,
also ran a family business called Pineapple Software dealing in Acorn
computers and had a stand. Over the years the "Acorn Village" dwindled and
Microsoft muscled in to schools. The official government-backed
organisations started to specify Microsoft as a requirement.
   When I visited the exhibition last January there was a definite feeling
that change was in the wind. The government backed stands were very careful
to not specify or promote any operating system, suggesting that any means
could be used to achieve the intended result. However I was usually greeted
by blank looks when I asked about Unix, Linux, or Free Open Source Software.
I offered some Knoppix DVDs, but most people refused to accept them.
   Would there be any interest if next January Debian, Ubuntu, Redhat, Suse,
and others could organise a "FOSS Village" of some description? I do not
know what charges would be levied for what facilities, but I feel that there
is a need.

BETT
12 - 15th January 2011
Olympia, London