[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 31 20:24:33 UTC 2010

On 31 August 2010 18:38, John G Walker <johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Do you mean send the output? I can't get hold of a terminal console in
> this session. But it gives a list of stuff

du -h -x --max-depth=1 /   > /tmp/file-to-send-to-gllug

mail -a /tmp/file-to-send-togllug   gllug at gllug.org.uk

Or something like that.

> However running it on / gives a very interesting result in that there
> are several files in /proc that it can't access. Is this where the
> problem is?

No. /proc is a pseudo filesystem, and you might just find a big file
in there which is the same size as your RAM.

BTW, is there a good reason for having /tmp mounted as a ramdisk?
Before the howls start, I have installed hundreds of cluster systems
as pure ramdisk systems - ie they network boot and don't have any hard
disks at all, so I do know that this is all about.
Just curious as to why this is being done here.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk