[Gllug] hello

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 13:23:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:

> Major Banks and other financial institutions use Linux almost
> exclusively these days (though sometimes not at the desktop)
> because it's the easiest route to security.

Nonsense. The banks took a long time to warm to Linux, not least
because of security. They had all manner of certifications and
policies for AIX and Solaris, but didn't for Linux, and so management
wouldn't allow Linux systems to be purchased[1]. Having worked in
multiple banks in the '90s and early 00's, I saw this in each of
them. No, where Linux won for the banks was price. Nothing more,
nothing less.

Tet

[1] Not that that stopped us of course. When attitudes to Linux
    started to change, I recall amusing conversations along the
    lines of: Management: "We want to migrate XYZ to run on Linux.
    It'll save us money". Us: "Great, we've been running it in
    production on Linux for the last 6 months" :-)

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk