[Gllug] entropykey: why did nobody ever mention this thing before?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Aug 4 22:50:57 UTC 2010

On 2 Aug 2010, nix at esperi.org.uk stated:

> There is one annoying bug, though: a tuning error in currently-released
> versions of ekeyd causes lua to spend *all* its time in the garbage
> collector, with every lua opcall causing multiple pointless GC
> passes. This will doubtless be fixed shortly, but for now, for any ekeyd
> users who might be here, here's a tiny patch, giving a >90% CPU time
> reduction and knocking GC off the perf profiles entirely:

FWIW, I just submitted patches that give another roughly-70% CPU time
reduction when reading entropy from the key and roughly-95% reduction
when sending entropy to over systems via egd.

ekeyd now consumes no more than 5% on my 500MHz Geode under extreme load
(multiple Linux boxes sucking entropy from it as fast as they can).
I think I can stop optimizing it now. :)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk