[Gllug] Backup drive for CentOS 5 remote setup

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Aug 17 11:34:04 UTC 2010

On 08/16/2010 06:02 PM, John Hearns wrote:
> On a related note, I was reading a white paper on cloud computing for
> HPC - providers are increasingly able to accept
> data via 'sneakernet' shipped hard drives - one of the barriers to
> cloud HPC being the amount of time it takes to schlep around
> multi-gigabyte files unless you have some whopping academic bandwidth.

I recently moved 5TiB of data from the US to London over sneakernet,
luks crypted HP SimpleSave 2 TiB disks each. Just to make sure we made 2
copies and sent them via different courier companies. Worked out quite
well, in that we were able to move the data across in 5 days time( from
ordering the disks online, to receiving them here in London ).

This local loop is adsl! doing it over-the-wire would have taken ages.

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk