[Gllug] Printer recommendations

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Aug 23 23:28:48 UTC 2010

On 23 Aug 2010, Alain Williams spake thusly:

> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 11:47:26PM +0100, Nix wrote:
>> On 20 Aug 2010, Alain Williams spake thusly:
>>
>> > One thing that convinced me to go with an inkjet was that I occasionally want to
>> > print a photo or few on photo paper -- every month or three.
>> >
>> > I could not find a laser printer that would do the resolution that is needed for this.
>>
>> What, 1200dpi isn't enough? Virtually every laser printer can do that.
>
> The Brother printer that I have claims to do 6000 x 1200 dpi ... I don't really
> know what is needed, although my eyes seem to be the worst bit these days.

I don't know. Converting to units I'm familiar with (and which I can do
maths on without going mad), a 1200dpi printer can place dots with a
precision of 0.002167cm, i.e., approximately a fiftieth of a
millimetre. a 6000dpi printer can place them with a precision of
0.000423cm.

Can you really tell the difference? Isn't this larger than the
granularity of any but the finest paper? Won't inkjet ink spread *much*
more than this? (In my experience inkjet ink is not only usoriously
expensive but obscenely spludgy and smeary compared to laser toner, even
on good paper.)

Hell, can you even *see* features that small? I'm pretty sure I can't,
although my vision is pretty bad...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk