[Gllug] Netbook recommendations

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Aug 18 14:21:14 UTC 2010

On 18/08/10 12:13, John Edwards wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:53:53AM +0100, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Andrew, you can't move OEM copies of windows onto different machines,
>> legally at least.
>>
> You'll need some solid examples of UK law to back up that statement.

John you can be angry about it, you can even be morally right but that
doesn't change the fact that Microsoft says you can't do that and,
whethere you transfer the software to another computer or not, you have
to agree to their license in order to use that software. If you agree to
a contract, even a shrinkwrapped one, then you are liable under UK
contract law - life is too short for me to dig out "solid examples" of
what is a fairly obvious point.

> Practically you *may* get away with it but the move
>> will trigger re-activation so you will need to speak to MS on the phone
>> and sweet talk them: the only excuse they ever accept for this is that
>> you had a failed motherboard which you had to replace.
>>
> It's all done by an automatic phone service now, no need to talk to
> anyone. Considering that changing three bits of hardware requires you
> to re-activate, it is not going to be worth Microsoft paying real
> people to answer the phone when almost all the people that use it
> have already paid and so do not generate any money.

Again you are wrong, you will get nowhere with their automated service
if you have changed motherboards. You CAN get it reactivated by speaking
to a person, I know this for a fact because I have done it several
times, the last being no more than 2 weeks ago. If you can transfer the
license/install to another machine before it has been activated you may
be in with a shot but if it is already activated you need to speak to a
human being at Microsoft (press * several times while on the phone to
the automated service to transfer to an operator) to reactivate it on a
different machine, there is no other way.

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk