[Gllug] Netatalk or NFS better than SAMBA/CIFS for Macs with CentOS 5 server?

gvim gvimrc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 10:49:41 UTC 2010

I'm rethinking the wisdom of having iMacs connecting to SAMBA shares on a CentOS 5 server vs. NFS or Netatalk/AFP. There seem to be complexities with the HFS+/CIFS mix which affects the storage of HFS+ file attributes and differing unicode implementations which makes me nervous as at least one workstation occasionally uses a Korean locale. The server is to be backed up to an ext3-formatted drive so it's essential that attributes are stored accurately at least within the initial transfer of files between the server and workstations.

Anyone had any experience in deciding between these options within a similar network? Originally the network was designed with SAMBA to support several Windows workstations but the office was converted to iMacs a while back so Windows support is not important.

gvim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk