[Gllug] Backup drive for CentOS 5 remote setup

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 16 17:02:46 UTC 2010

Karanbir has a good point - hence the butchered kettle lead/trailing 3
pin sockets many engineers carry round!
I guess you should also check if the drive is heading to the US of A
and think of the power supply.

I was going to suggest the alternative of a fag-packet sized USB
powered drive, but these might be a bit delicate to ship.

How much data is being backed up (I guess int he region of 500 gbytes...)
USB sticks are pretty big these days, and easy to pop in the post, but
nowhere near 500Gbytes of course.

On a related note, I was reading a white paper on cloud computing for
HPC - providers are increasingly able to accept
data via 'sneakernet' shipped hard drives - one of the barriers to
cloud HPC being the amount of time it takes to schlep around
multi-gigabyte files unless you have some whopping academic bandwidth.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk