[Gllug] Trojans and social engineering

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 15:39:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Andrew Farnsworth
<farnsaw at stonedoor.com> wrote:

>> > Linux tends to be less susceptible to social engineering (i.e. trojans
>> > etc) simply due to the fact that, unlike windows, the majority of
>> > Linux users have a CLUE.  This does not make them immune and, as time
>> > progresses and Linux makes it's way onto the normal users desktop that
>> > his will change.

Sadly, I'd say it's already changed. You only have to skim read
the Ubuntu forums to find endless proof of that.

> Additionally, in most cases, a Linux/Unix user will be running as themselves
> with limited permissions rather than as the root user.  Therefore, a breach
> will generally only affect their login, not the entire system.

When most Linux boxen are being used as single user machines, what's
the difference between the two? What solace is there in losing all
your personal data, but knowing that /bin/ls hasn't been replaced
with a malware version?

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk