[Gllug] Diagnosing hardware faults

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Fri Dec 3 16:56:42 UTC 2010

On 03/12/10 08:02, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Fri 03 Dec, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>

>> Apropos of motherboard repair, do you know if they "re-ball" the chips
>> with leaded solder or simply "re-flow" them with what is already there.
>> I could really use a repair company that can do proper re-balling at a
>> reasonable cost!
>>
>> Roger
>>
>     They can do either. They have a very expensive rework station that can
> remove a single chip, they can then clean up, re-ball, optically align the
> chip, and re-fit. There is a low percentage chance that it will fail,
> perhaps because internal track layers have been damaged.

Cool, that's what I'm after, I'll give them call, don't suppose you know
the manager's name or how long they warranty their work for? The place
I'm using are quite cheap (relatively) but they only warrant their
repairs for 3 months which is about the length of time a re-flowing
tends to last!

Cheers,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk