[Gllug] WikiLeaks: Stop the crackdown - incredible response!

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Fri Dec 10 16:07:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Walter Stanish <
walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com> wrote:

> "See here? Our secrets are marked SECRET or CONFIDENTIAL
> because they're not real secrets.  We got really angry and started a
> character assassination campaign because they're not real secrets.
> We are trying to prosecute someone for their release because they're
> not real secrets"

Yes. Basically. I have a whole ton of documents marked 'SECRET' and
'CONFIDENTIAL'  that I got off a computer I bought on ebay. They're not very
interesting though - mostly marketing presentations and stuff like that. In
the book I mentinoed Machiavelli advocates throwing your mid level officials
to the mob every now and again to keep them happy. I'm sure there are people
in the US government who are truely embarassed by the leaks but that is not
important. The real secrets stay secret.

>From the US there's a simultaneous play-down ("it's nothing big,
> it's nothing new, there's nothing here, move along") and at the same
> time demonisation ("act of treason", "terrorist", etc.), baseless and
> corrupt character assassination, undemocratic behaviour from US
> companies and financial services providers pressured by the
> government to react against Wikileaks, and old-school calls for
> self-censorship and a closing of ranks in places like the US military
> and Colombia University (since rescinded).

Sure different groups will react in different ways.

> So in your mind, who is this 'grand plan' being written by?
> What is the secret to your insight?
>
> (Really I don't think it's that much more complex than it appears.)

I don't know. I do expect more internet censorship and this little episode
will probably help contribute to it but there will probably be other events,
staged, and non-staged but blown out of proportion in the media that will be
used to justify it. A lot of the rest of it is probably your usual
suspects.. helping with the politics necessary to get the Turkmenistan
Afghanistan Pakistan India gas pipeline constructed and support the heroin
market.

> > I'm sure it is.. and it will be applied selectively to specific
> > instances of corruption.
>
> Of course

No need to go further.

Rob