[Gllug] PAYG mobile broadband

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Wed Dec 15 17:16:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Tristan Miller <
psychonaut at nothingisreal.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> We're moving house next week, and unfortunately Internet won't be installed
> for another month.  (The new house doesn't have a phone line and the
> earliest appointment they have to send an engineer over is mid-January.)
> Until then I thought we could get a pay-as-you-go mobile broadband service.
> I did some web searches to see what providers' USB modems are compatible
> with Linux, but it seems most of the information is from 2008, which is
> probably out of date.
>
> Can anyone here recommend a specific PAYG package (modem + service) which
>
> a) is available in London,
>
> b) is not too expensive (say, 35 GBP or less for the month), and
>
> c) will work with KDE on openSUSE 11.3 on my x86-64 notebook?

I'd buy an unlocked 3g dongle on ebay and then put a giffgaff (
www.giffgaff.co.uk) simcard in it. Top up with £10 and free data until Feb
2011. Thereafter probably another £10/month for unlimited data. Technically
it's against their terms and conditions ("for mobile phones only") but since
there's no contract the worst they can do is cut you off.

Rob