[Gllug] where do older sys admins end up?

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Thu Dec 30 19:28:41 UTC 2010

Hello All,

I've been following your thread with some interest - as an old git of 62 and a "Sysop" as we
were once known. In the middle 80's having built computers - we got into running BBS's there
was no internet - and when it came I had about 100 business people that used it.

I leased cable from IBM - the cable went to the USA and out via France and Germany to end up
in Birmingham - 100 per cent of traffic went out of the UK that was destined for the UK. And
speeds? 9600 baud - and as low as 2400 - the world wide web was an add-on with Netscape the
leader in browsers and web-based intranets.

People - or rather companies first bought computers - desk tops as adding machines. I sill
know people who keep 5.25 inch drives and disks - who are expert at "dos" command prompts.

What happens to us oldies? We all go on to better things :)

David

--
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the kind.
Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No delusion.”