[Gllug] Ubuntu 10.10 PPC on PowerMac G5 hardware issues?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Fri Dec 3 02:55:21 UTC 2010

On 03/12/10 02:39, gvim wrote:
> On 03/12/2010 02:29, Geoff Fox wrote:
>

>>> Next question is OT but Mac forums haven't turned up anything
>>> conclusive. The G5 in question failed to start after I replaced its
>>> PRAM battery and has never worked since . I've done all the
>>> recommended resets but I can't fathom whether the failure is due to
>>> the logic board or the PSU. Here are the symptoms:
>>>
>>> 1. When re-inserting the power cable there is the usual single
>>> click sound in the region of the PSU 2. When the power button is
>>> pressed: a. The power light comes on and stays lit as long as the
>>> power button remains pressed b. The 2 CPU fans are momentarily
>>> jolted, along with a single click sound so some power seems to be
>>> transmitted 3. Nothing else starts
>>>

>> Have you tried reseting the PMU?
>>
>> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1939?viewlocale=en_US
>>
>> --- Geoff
>>
> Yes, and all other standard resets. No luck.
>
> gvim

As I mentioned in another post a few minutes ago you might have a
stuck/seized fan which can sometimes be coaxed back to life with a 60
second blast from a hairdryer! I know it sounds silly but I had a
machine in yesterday with that exact problem and that got it going
again, maybe it's the cold weather! :)

Roger
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk