[Gllug] I/O messages for non existant device?

Oliver Howe ojhowe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 11:58:13 UTC 2010

I'm seeing the following error messages in my /var/log/messages file
regarding devices sdc and sdd but I dont see those devices when I do a df,
or look in the mtab file

Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 11
end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 48
..
end_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 25382150136
end_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 0

etc

but, I cant see these discs in /etc/mtab

 ~]# grep sdc /etc/mtab
 ~]# grep sdd /etc/mtab
 ~]#
or by doing df

 ~]# df | grep sdd
 ~]# df | grep sdc

does that mean the error is referring to a disc that maybe is in the
attached disk array and is not being used?
could this bring the system down if the disc failes totally?