[Gllug] nslookup resolves but not ping or http

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Fri Dec 10 05:01:34 UTC 2010

On 08/12/10 09:08, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 22:46 +0000, t.clarke wrote:
>
>> Hmm,   think it actually not a propagation issue after all......
>> Having tried the bytemark nameservers directly using nslookup, none of
>> them would respond to any query  - so looks like they are 'dead'
>>
> Do be aware that if you host a wikileaks mirror your server will be
> attacked with the DDoS that is attacking wikileaks.

Is this a "proper" DDos attack or simply their servers buckling under
the weight of millions of curious people trying to access it? Everyone
is asking me about it right now and it turns out they have all tried to
go there in the last week or so, even deeply non technical people. It's
intriguing on a mass scale and few sites could stand their readership
leaping several orders of magnitude upwards overnight. Ironically if
they were still on EC2 they might be in with a chance!

So are there any detailed accounts of this DDos on teh intarwebs or is
it all just speculation?

Roger
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk