[Gllug] PAYG mobile broadband

Tristan Miller psychonaut at nothingisreal.com
Thu Dec 16 11:08:31 UTC 2010

Greetings.

On Wednesday 15 December 2010, Simon Wilcox wrote:
> On 15/12/2010 16:05, Tristan Miller wrote:
> > Can anyone here recommend a specific PAYG package (modem + service)
>
> If you have wifi on your laptop and you might ever want to use more than
> one device, the MiFi on 3 works really well.
>
> https://threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/?mifi=1
>
> It presents as a wifi hotspot and allows up to 5 devices to connect
> simultaneously over a 3G connection.
>
> Available on PAYG and contract. I really like mine.

That does sound tempting, as it's pretty much guaranteed to work with any
WiFi device -- no need to mess around with drivers and the like.  The
disadvantages are the cost (the cheapest one being £55.99, compared to
around £20 for a dongle), and the fact that it's not as portable.  Given
that we'll only be using the mobile broadband for one month, I don't think
we can justify the cost of one of those mobile wireless routers, unless I
try a dongle and simply can't make it work.

I did some further research and apparently Vodafone's PAYG "USB Modem Stick
white" is a K3570-Z, which is reported to work well with the Sakis3G
script.  The cost is £25, which includes 3GB, and £15 for every 3GB
thereafter.  The initial cost can be reduced to £15 through a cashback site
like <http://www.topcashback.co.uk/vodafone_-_personal/>.

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _
  _V.-o         Tristan Miller          ><  Space is limited