[Gllug] WikiLeaks: Stop the crackdown - incredible response!

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Fri Dec 10 14:21:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Walter Stanish <
walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com> wrote:
[blah blah]

> More pragmatically, Assange's strategy of co-opting the personnel,
> distribution and reputation of a string of international media outlets is a
> rather effective counter to the notion that "real secrets don't end up in
> the mainstream press".  He has masterfully utilised their commercial

Actually it isn't. It just means they aren't real secrets worth keeping.

> > along the way they get to accomplish several goals..
> > introducing more propaganda but from a 'trusted good guy
> anti-establishment
> > rebel source' which is useful to manipulate the growing demographic that
> > nolonger believes the mainstream press and in cracking down on wikileaks
> > they get to accomplish several more goals such as implementing internet
> > censorship programs.
>
> Really an interesting take, but actually the effect seems to have been
> quite
> the opposite.  The internet is very anti-censorship.  At this point, to my
> mind, if a failure in the justice system were to convict Mr. Assange, or he
> were to be assassinated, a situation closer to a global string of civil
> unrest
> would more likely occur.

Whatever happens will likely be all part of the plan.

> When I have met him, Mr. Assange has appeared to be a person of
> the highest ethical standing and intelligence.  I would be very surprised
> if he turned out to be working for a conventional government and against
> the interests of his fellow beings, since all of his code and speech
> suggests strongly of an intelligent mind standing for the contrary.

So he's good at his job.. or perhaps isn't aware he's doing it (even
better).

[snipped various pro-assenge blahblah]

> As for the notion of 'clamping down', Wikileaks is a powerful tool
> against over-regulation and corruption.

I'm sure it is.. and it will be applied selectively to specific instances of
corruption.

> Wikipedia's summary states that "Joly would communicate the secret ways
> in which liberalism might spawn a despot".  That seems fairly relevant,
> both
> to the pre and post-Wikileaks world.

I'm sure the world will continue to funciton in much the same way
post-wikileaks.

Rob