[Gllug] Ubuntu 10.10 PPC on PowerMac G5 hardware issues?

gvim gvimrc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 01:13:24 UTC 2010

I'm considering running Ubuntu 10.10 PPC on an old dual 2Ghz Powermac G5 which was bought in December 2003 but needs a repair. Anyone running something similar? If so what hardware issues am I likely to encounter?

Next question is OT but Mac forums haven't turned up anything conclusive. The G5 in question failed to start after I replaced its PRAM battery and has never worked since . I've done all the recommended resets but I can't fathom whether the failure is due to the logic board or the PSU. Here are the symptoms:

1. When re-inserting the power cable there is the usual single click sound in the region of the PSU
2. When the power button is pressed:
     a. The power light comes on and stays lit as long as the power button remains pressed
     b. The 2 CPU fans are momentarily jolted, along with a single click sound so some power seems to be transmitted
3. Nothing else starts

My only concern here is determining categorically whether this is a PSU or a logic board failure as I'm prepared to buy a replacement for either. The thing is so heavy that taking it into the Apple Store is out of the question as I don't drive so the only way I can get this thing back on the road is by asking questions and repairing it myself.

gvim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk