[Gllug] Ubuntu 10.10 PPC on PowerMac G5 hardware issues?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Fri Dec 3 03:22:10 UTC 2010

On 03/12/10 02:59, gvim wrote:
> On 03/12/2010 02:55, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>
>> As I mentioned in another post a few minutes ago you might have a
>> stuck/seized fan which can sometimes be coaxed back to life with a 60
>> second blast from a hairdryer! I know it sounds silly but I had a
>> machine in yesterday with that exact problem and that got it going
>> again, maybe it's the cold weather! :)
>>
>> Roger
>>
> Nah, I've removed and messed with the 2 huge fans inside this G5. The thing died back in February. It had been in daily use for over 6 years then I left it idle for about a month after I built a hackintosh. Repalced the PRAM battery and it died.
>
> gvim

Yeah, I've had a couple of PC motherboards die on me completely after
swapping the bios battery in the past but they've always been in trouble
beforehand. Sadly I never managed to resuscitate any of them. I figured
the image in the bios chip must have become damaged/corrupted and the
power from the battery was the only thing keeping it alive somehow.
Maybe someone who know more about the internals of bios chips could shed
some light?

So don't you have to mod a PC motherboard with an EFI bios to get it to
run OSX? If you can do that maybe it's worth you trying to replace the
bios chip on your Mac. Or am I misunderstanding how Hackintoshes work?

Roger

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk