[Gllug] Hard disk recommendations please

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Sun Dec 5 12:41:27 UTC 2010

On 04/12/10 00:55, Nix wrote:
> On 3 Dec 2010, general verbalised:
>
>> Of course adding a second drive doubles both your power consumption and
>> your chances of something going wrong

Statistically speaking this is unavoidable :)

> Interesting. I've experienced not a single problem with the half-dozen
> 4, 8, and 16-disk RAID arrays (mostly RAID-6) I've built using WD
> GreenPower drives over the last year.

Ditto, with RAID5

> (Areca, in
> case it matters, which suck quite a bit less than most of the
> competition). There's been no corruption whatsoever.

We have had issues with the Linux utility breaking various things: have
you worked around these or not experienced any (we're running Debian
mostly)?

> Weird. Personally I would never consider using non-RAID for anything at
> all unless the data is a mirror of a master copy on a RAIDed
> system...

'Redundant RAID' that is: excluding editing working copies of large
media files that are backed up elsewhere, when the speed of 'RAID0' can
make sense... otherwise 100% agree even on home systems. I gave up
non-redundant-RAID in 1994 or so, and in conjunction with backup have
(crosses fingers) not lost data since...

--
Stabilys Ltd		www.stabilys.com
244 Kilburn Lane

0845 838 5370