[Gllug] Linux weather station!

Ciarán Mooney general.mooney at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:25:14 UTC 2010

Hi,

> Any idea on the advisability of running standard Cat5e around outside?
> I've been meaning to extend my house network out to my shed ...

"""
7. Can I run CAT-5e ethernet cable outside?

CAT-5e cable is not rated for outdoor use, however it can generally be
used without a problem. If possible, run the cable through some kind
of conduit to prevent moisture or an attractive site for lightning to
strike. You should be able to find gray PVC conduit suitable for cable
at any hardware store. Remember, 100 Meters is your max distance,
without some kind of hub, bridge or amplification.
"""

from http://www.connectworld.net/syscon/support.htm

Ciarán
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk