[Gllug] Buying a switch (a sort of repost/recap on an old thread)

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Feb 8 12:21:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 12:08:06PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:44:41AM +0000, James Hawtin wrote:
> > Clearly your firewalling for the interweb will require a machine too
> > do that, however your probably always going to have to as I have
> > never seen a swich that does NAT for example. Your internet
> > connection however does not need gigabit switching power so you can
> > use a much lower spec system for that.
>
> Mmm, seems your logic here is right.  So the next question would be
> what is a cheap, small, quiet PC that has 2-4 ethernet ports on it?

ALIX board with 3 ethernet ports:
	http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12270

Add case, PSU, CF card and it should come to under 150 GBP (inc
VAT). Very small, very quiet, still a PC.

CPU is 500MHz Geode with 256MB RAM. Not powerfully enough for a
desktop, but fine for a router/firewall/bridge. Only possible
problem I can see is that the ethernet is only 10/100 Mbps.